[C320-list] C320-List Digest, Vol 233, Issue 1

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Sun Jan 21 14:14:57 PST 2007

Frank,

I'm not sure there is anything that will totally eliminate having to go forward before raising or dousing the main, but I bought a Doyle StackPack with my new main, and it makes the process MUCH quicker and easier. When you drop the main, you still have to go forward to stuff the last bits of the sail into the Pack and fasten the halyard to something. At least you don't have to hang on while you're trying to cinch up any sail ties. When you are done with the sail you just zip up the Pack. No more hassling with a sail cover. Also, you can unzip the Pack and attach the halyard before you leave the dock, and then when you are ready to hoist you don't have to untie any sail ties. You do still have to go forward to release the halyard from a clip that keeps it from going loose and wrapping around a spreader.

The StackPack retrofit costs about $1000. That's about triple the cost of a set of lazy jacks (~$300 with your labor) but you get a lot more material and convenience for the money. If your sail is in good shape you might want to consider it. If your sail is in need of replacing in the next few seasons you might want to wait until you get a new sail. It probably isn't cost effective to pay for the labor to remove the StackPack and attach it to a new sail.

JeffC