[C320-list] External regulator for 55 amp altenator

charles walsh chazw199 at msn.com
Thu Jan 25 17:01:10 PST 2007

I had the internal regulator disabled on the stock 55 amp alternator two years ago and installed the Xantrex Multi-Stage external regulator.  So far so good.  I feel the Xantrex does a far superior job of charging the batteries.  It goes through 3 stages, bulk, absorption and float.  I have 4D gel batteries but the regulator is adjustable for all types of batteries.  The regulator has battery and regulator temperature connections but I never installed them and so far have not had overheating problems.  The alternator is 11 years old with over 1400 hours on it but if it fails I will probably go with a higher output alternator and connect it to the existing Xantrex regulator.

Charlie Walsh
Windrifter #317