[C320-list] Hot water tank woes

Allan Field Allan.Field at comcast.net
Fri Jul 6 02:52:30 PDT 2007

Chris - The TP (temperature/pressure) valve has most likely failed.  The
test is to run the overflow hose into a Coke bottle, run the hot water
heater for awhile, and see if you have water in the bottle.

Order a new TP valve from Seaward - about $20.  Install is the least fun you
will have with your clothes still on...

The entire cabinet assembly must come out, which is the easy part.  I am
unsure if you can get the TP valve out with the tank still in place but give
it a try.  If not, the brackets on the port side of the tank that affix the
tank to the platform are a bear to get out.  If you take the tank out, this
is a good time to flush it thoroughly - you will be stunned at the amount of
crud, like sand and bits of plastic plus foul water that never comes out of
the bottom of the tank that comes out during the flush.

When putting the TP valve back in, use plenty of plumbers putty around the
fitting.  I used Real-Tuff, a Teflon paste thread sealant from Home Depot
that also cures the leaks around the clean-outs on the 2 fresh water tanks.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD