[C320-list] in-mast furling mainsail questions

Sea Chalet seachalet at charter.net
Sat Jul 21 16:32:36 PDT 2007

Hi Rich, I'm in my 7th season with an in-mast furler.  No problems, and
I'm still satisfied with it.  To answer your questions:

1. Mine is made by Charleston Spar.   No manual, but they have a web
site with some tips at
http://www.charleston-spar.com/us/main.asp?url=http://www.charleston-spar.com/us/products/masts/furling_masts/default.asp&f=2,78,,,

2. I've tried to furl/unfurl when not into the wind, and it is very
difficult.  I don't think you can wrap the sail tight enough when not
into the wind.  You should drive straight into the wind and keep some
tension on the opposite line when furling/unfurling.

3. I just spray the lower part with fresh water when back in the slip.

4.  The only tip on trimming that I've heard (and follow) is to set some
"belly" in the sail when in moderate winds (10-15 knots), i.e.,  loosen
the foot so that it floats about 6-12 inches away from the boom.
Otherwise, keep the sail tight in light or heavy winds.

Good luck!

Pete Peterson
Sea Chalet #815