[C320-list] Wiring and power on old 320

Jeffrey Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Sat Jul 28 08:54:06 PDT 2007

Hi Nick,

  Sorry to chime in so late,  (been out sailing in your neck of the woods).

The Red power wire to your starter motor and Black ground wire between your
batteries and engine block should really be "2/0" gauge, (hopefully not "2
awg").  If so, this contributes to the problem.   2/0 wire is thicker than
2awg.

If the batteries are good, the starter is new-ish and the soleniod is also
in decent shape, then what else is likely happening is:

1) The lugs on the battery cables and the mounting terminals are not clean
enough.  They should be cleaned of *all* corrosion and dirt and reattached
snugly.

2) The connection between the cable and the lug clamped onto the cable has
probably begun corroding and adding significant resistance.  You can check
this by feeling the lugs before and after cranking.  Any that feel warm are
serious resistance points.

-Jeff