[C320-list] Zapped Mast Instruments

BillAleshire at aol.com BillAleshire at aol.com
Wed Jun 13 18:45:26 PDT 2007

Questions:
(1) Does anyone know where I can get (1) ST 50 wind, speed, depth
instruments (OEM on the boat in 1998) repaired or (2) ST 50 instruments in  good (new)
shape to purchase?

(2)  Does anyone know whether the Ratheon ST 50 wiring, transducers,  and
plugs will work with the Raymarine ST 60 instruments?

(3) If I just forget trying to get replacement instruments for my ST 50s,  do
you have a recommendation for updating my instruments to some other  brand.

It is with sadness, multiplied by embarrassment, quadrupled by pleas  for
advice that I confess the following on my Hull #551 (1998), Rae de  Sol.  On
Memorial Day on Lake Travis in Texas, I was watching (too  closely) my depth as I
traversed up Cow Creek and did not notice the overhead  power line (that was
not on the lake chart in the 1994 version they last  printed, and inexplicably
a clear hazard to navigation (for the unexpected  sailboat)) as we turned a
bend in the creek.  The lake came up 5 feet over  the weekend while we were at
anchor, and my mast hit the power line about a foot  down the mast.

My first clue we were in trouble was the wind/speed/depth ST 50 Autohelm
instruments blowing out in front of my face (literally blowing the seals) and
then a loud sound, seemingly emanating from the cabin below.  Our mast  caught
one hot line, virtually explosively melting and obliterating the mast
instruments, dripping molten plastic on deck, and dragged it under the next  power
line, causing us to be tramped, sizzored between the power lines.   Fortunately,
the short tripped the power off and denied the auto-turn-back-on  feature they
have in those lines.  I cannot explain why the electric  company (or the
Lower Colorado River Authority) would permit a power line  to be strung so low
over a creek (with 25' depth), but I'm also making no  excuses:  My boat hit
their line; it's my fault.  Turns out, the loud  noise I heard from below was the
forestay echo when it melted about 2 feet down  from the top of the mast and
popped loose, leaving by furled Genoa to  perform the duties of the forestay.
My first mate/last wife and I feel  lucky to be alive.

Boat U.S. has been responsive, but they'll deduct 10% per year up to 80%  for
parts (the instruments) for these 9-year-old parts.  They'll pay for  labor
(as in "repair" the instruments).  Today, I got the bad news (piled  on):
Raytheon says they don't repair or have parts for the ST 50s anymore,  so it would
appear that the less expensive way to repair my instruments  is not gonna
happen...unless there is 320 experience and expertise out there who  can guide
this careless sailor.  I hear that a new tri-set of ST 60s will  run me about
$1700 (and I'll eat 80% of that).

Since Boat U.S. paid to have the boat hauled, demasted for inspection, I
figured it's a good time for a bottom job.  So, while I've got the boat out  of
the water, I can replace transducers and reconfigure the instruments and
wiring more easily based on the wise counsel of my fellow 320 owners.  I  humbly
ask for your advice and forgiveness for the embarrassment I caused a  Catalina
320 in a creek full of stinkboats on Memorial Day....an apology  only matched
by the one I telepathically sent to the 500 homes who around noon  lunch time
on Memorial Day had their ice cream makers suddenly  go off for a couple of
hours.

Bill Aleshire
Rae de  Sol