[C320-list] Garhauer Davits

Jeffrey Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Jun 18 07:12:30 PDT 2007

Hi Bob,

  Couple things.

Yes, the cross bars need to be drilled so that the set screws can be
replaced with small bolts like the ones used at the ends for the lifting
blocks.  I drilled small holes so that the set screws could go in further
and used loc-tite on those.

The main problem here I suspect is how you're carrying the dinghy.

Pointers:
=========
1)  The "D-Rings" aren't really the ideal place to be carrying the bow from.
You should be using a piece of webbing looped under one of the floorboards
near the bow.  Not the forward-most one, but the board right before the one
that transitions to an angle.  I made a webbing strap for mine with large
D-Rings sewn in.  (I've got pictures).

2)  Even when the dinghy is drawn up tight against the arms, you should
still use a webbing strap to pull the dinghy up tight and towards the
transom so that you can't wiggle it at all.  It should be fixed in place.
The way I do this is probably different than most, but...  I leave the
outboard on the dinghy and have the dinghy stern on the Starboard side to
counter the port-list.  After raising the dinghy all the way up, use a long
piece of 2" webbing. start from the lower starboard aft rail by the boarding
ladder, go UNDER the dinghy, up through the OUTER bow Tow-Ring, up over the
cross bar and back to the starting point.  If you use a ratcheting strap,
you can snug the dinghy up so that it is fixed and is unaffected by steep
seas and motion.  If you still have motion, then use an additional strap to
cinch up any loose section.

3)  IMPORTANT: If the lifting points on your dinghy are closer together than
the length of the cross bar, then you're fine.  If they're even slightly
wider apart than the length of the cross bar, you need to make a strap that
you can tie between the lifting clips so that they can never pulled apart
outward wider than the cross bar.  (that would tend to add more stress to
the set-screws).

4)  When leaving the dinghy in davits at the mooring or dock, make sure to
drop the aft end of the dinghy down  several inches and remove the drain
plug.  If you keep the cross strap in place, but loosened slightly you don't
have to worry as much about a pool of water forming in the middle of the
dinghy and not draining out, should the tubes get a little soft in cool
weather.

Anyway, a some of this I learned from the Ocean Marine website where they
discussed this, and other parts of this I gleaned from looking at the
various kinds of commercial lifting straps available.  BTW, I think there's
quite a bit of room for improvement in the ones that are commercially
available, so I made my own.

Here's how I made my own lifting strap for the Bow of a "wooden" floor
inflatable dinghy.

1) Purchased a 15' (~8k-10k lbs rating) lifting strap with tow hooks on both
ends.  ~$20 bucks...
2) Purchased a pair of 5/16" x 2" welded D-Rings online.  (I got them for
~$6 ea.)
3) Cut off the Tow Hooks and melted the ends of the strap to keep them from
fraying.
4) Measured the width of the board towards the bow that I would be lifting
from and roughly tripled that length, cut it and sealed the ends.
5) Mark the center of the strap, Add 2" to the width of the total width of
the bottom board (in my case 32").  I extended 16" each way from the center
and marked the strap so that I had my 32" section centered on the strap.
6) Slip a D-Ring on and loop the free end back to the line you marked.
Using a zig-zag sewing machine and V92 thread, I sewed the straps together
like you would for a harness.  Repeat the same for the other side.

The reason for tripling the width of the floor board to get the total strap
length, was because now, when the strap is installed, the amount of the sewn
overlap from the D-Ring now comes within an inch of the edge of the board.
This keeps the strap "locked" in place with the D-Rings centered in the
dinghy.   The D-Rings add 3-4" to the total length of the strap, making it
easy to clip onto, yet still keeps it low enough to allow the dinghy to be
lifted fully to the arms.  For UV protection, I sprayed the strap with 303
Protectant. Should last me several years.

This is all Much easier to show with a couple picture than in words...

-Jeff

PS: If you want me to make one up for you, give me a call.  Took me less
than a half hour start to finish.