[C320-list] cleaning the prop shaft

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 21:58:23 PDT 2007

What do people recommend for cleaning the bronze prop shaft (the water end)?  I've used Scotchbrite pads the last few years but last year it didn't work very well.  If sandpaper is my next step, what grit?  I'm assuming I need to be careful because I'm guessing bronze is relatively soft as metals go.

I've never worried too much about a shiny smooth bronze shaft but I do want to be certain that at least the area under the shaft zinc is shiny.  I'm thinking it probably wasn't the last year or two and the shaft took a minor hit.  The zinc definitely took a major hit.

 -bill
 Harmony #859
 Lake Erie