[C320-list] Ham radio (or SSB) antenna

Bruce Walters brucewalt at msn.com
Thu Mar 29 06:47:44 PDT 2007

I use a ICOM 730.  It's an older ICOM I have used for years both in the
shack at home, then mobile in car and now on boat.   I also use a manual
antenna tuner.  Most installations I have seen use an automatic ant tuner
but I perfer the manual type, largely because I use two antennas. This tuner
allows me to switch between antennas without disconnecting either - they
stay connected to the tuner all the time.

The main antenna is the insulated backstay.  The second is a "spyder" mobile
antenna that is mounted on the port aft rail.  Band conditions and the
actual band I'm on determine which antenna I use.  Usually the backstay.

The ground is 3" wide copper straping I bought at WM.  It is designed to
connect (usually) an automatic tuner to the ground in the boat.  This
straping is folded back and forth on itself to make up a approx 3' x 3'
"blanket" of foil that I have attached to the aft inside compartment - under
the helm, you access through the small opening in the aft cabin. I placed a
rubber door mat over this foil to protect it.  Since I have a manuel tuner,
I connected the shield of the coax to the foil grould and the center to the
backstay.

The Spyder antenna uses the rail as the ground.

This arrangement has worked OK.  A ground plate mounted through the hull
might be better but more expensive (much More) and requires a haul out to
install.

Another Ham down the pier simply usues a mobile antenna on the aft railing
and it seems to work well. If fact he takes it for boat to boat as he
sometimes crews on other boats.  Last year he was able to use winlink
(email) from Texas to Veracruz Mexico and back with no problems.

A lot depends on the radio you will be using.  I suggest you experiment a
bit before going to the expense of the mounted plate and resulting holes.

You should considering contacting a local ham radio club - most clubs are
happy to help others - expecially for a chance for a sail!

Fair Winds,

Bruce
S/V Reality

IMPORTANT WARNING:  This email is intended exclusively for the individual or
entity to which it is addressed.  It may contain information that is
proprietary, privileged, or confidential by law or by contract.
Additionally, Confidential or Protected Health Information (PHI) may be
enclosed.  If PHI is enclosed, it is being sent under circumstances that do
not require patient authorization or after appropriate authorization has
been obtained.  You are obligated to maintain any information in this email
in a secure and confidential manner.  Redisclosure without additional
consent or as permitted by law is prohibited.  Unauthorized redisclosure or
failure to maintain confidentiality could subject you to penalties as
described in state/federal law or where applicable, by contract.  If you are
copying or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately