[C320-list] Bottom Prep question

Allan Field Allan.Field at comcast.net
Sun Mar 4 05:50:40 PST 2007

Jon - I am going through this with my dealer as we speak.  The problem as I
understand it is that the wax that was applied to the hull to keep the boat
from sticking to the mold was not removed at commissioning as it clearly is
supposed to be.  On Sea Shadow, the paint has never stuck and peels away in
sheets even as I am sailing.  I finally surrendered last Fall, after 5 years
of wasted DIY, and had the pros fix the bottom.  They used a machine and
peeled the old paint away in 3-inch or so strips.  Following the peel, they
sanded the hull then re-painted.  Total cost including haul-out was about
$2200.  I then discussed this with the dealer.  He is going back against the
guys he sub-contracted the hull prep to.  I have not heard back from him yet
so don't yet know if I am going to be made whole on this.  But for what we
pay for commissioning, this borders on criminal...   For more detail on what
the pros did, you can call Scooter at Bristol Yacht Services in Deale, MD at
410-867-8830.

A quick story about Scooter.  One week following re-launch, he called me and
asked that I bring the boat back for a short-haul inspection.  Seems he
discovered paint on one of the pads and wanted to make sure it did not come
from my boat.  In 20 years of using paid boat help, this is only the third
time I have come across that kind of honesty, service and caring. - Allan