[C320-list] Hull paint quantity?

mike hunter popotladreaming at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 08:57:59 PDT 2007

What is the significance of bottom paint color?  At our bottom diver’s request, my Wife and I painted the hull of our last boat (Catalina 27) with Petit Trinidad.  He said of his 15+ years in the business it seemed to work the best?  We rolled on 3 coats at the water line and leading edges, and 2 coats on the rest, and there were no bare spots when we sold it two years later.  We bought our 320 with blue paint on it and it looked good (no bare spots or flaking) when it was hauled for the survey a month ago.  I was just curious?

  Mike

Warren Updike <wupdike at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Is one gallon of paint enough to cover the hull of a 320? I found no. An old salt at our marina said, "load the roller, roll it on once forward once back and move on." This puts on a heavy coat. I used about 1 1/4 gal. of blue Interlux Bottomcoat ACT over a coat of the same paint in black. When we pulled & power washed last fall, much of the top coat had ablated away; some spots showed the black base coat below, and in a few spots all paint was gone, mostly on the leading edges of bow, keel, and rudder. That justifies the recommendation to apply two coats to these leading edges.

Will one coat be enough for a color change from black to blue? Yes, at least it was for me following the above "old salt" recommendations.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay