[C320-list] Solar and Wind vs Generator

Bruce Walters brucewalt at msn.com
Fri May 25 20:10:46 PDT 2007

I use a Marine Air X wind generator and a small (50 watt) solar panel and I'm able to maintain for 4 - 5 days in an anchorage.  I power most everything but microwave (by choice) and the air conditioner,  I have 2 4h batteries and a 2000w inverter/charger.  The inverter will run the microwave but would draw too much from the batteries.

Of course I will start the engine and actually move the boat much more often than that so the engine will charge whenever isn't obtained from the solar panel or wind generator.  Both are extremely easy to install and need no maintenance.   I would only get a generator if I was on a mooring and could only start my engine on weekends.  (We live aboard)

Bruce
S/V Reality  #232