[C320-list] Fuel Gauges

Tue May 1 12:56:34 PDT 2007

Gotta love Sailcoat!

I had a in-boom furler installed on cl 3, in order to make the main roll
up nice and tight, I had the main coated with Sailcoat, cost $300...it
allows a much tighter roll into the boom and it helps repel water, dirt
and mildew...

OD

             mike hunter
             <popotladreaming
             @yahoo.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                 C320-List
             c320-list-bounce         <c320-list at catalina320.org>
             s at catalina320.or                                          cc
                                                                  Subject
                                      [C320-list] Fuel Gauges
             05/01/2007 12:50
             PM

              Please respond
                C320-List
             <c320-list at catal
               ina320.org>

How many of you have operational fuel gauges?  I have owned 2 Catalina’s
and neither of them have had gauges that work.  I have heard this is
common for all boats.  The manual states fuel consumption at ½ gallon per
hour at 2800 RPMs, I’m rarely up this high, so I figure it is safe to go
40 hours on the 20-gallon tank.  I guess what I’m really asking is – is it
worth replacing the sending unit, gauge, etc., if it’s going to only last
a short while; or should I just continue to guestimate?

  While I’m sort of on the subject of RPMs, my boat has a “sweet spot” at
around 2000 RPMs, which pushes it along at around 4.5 knots.  When it gets
above that, I feel a small vibration at my feet.  How much vibration is
normal?

  I also have to share my joy with the results of McLube Sailkote.  Before
Sailkote it would take everything I had to get the main sail ¾ up the mast
and the last ¼ was tough even with the winch.  Now I can pull it all the
way to the top without straining.  I also applied it to the shift lever
and throttle lever shafts at the pedestal and talk about smooth.  Awesome
product!!!

  Thanks!

  Mike

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.