[C320-list] On-board Portable Generator

Stan ola7442000 at gmail.com
Fri May 18 12:47:32 PDT 2007

Very interesting question Paul,

A few years ago people scoffed at bonding swimming pool water to ground.
Now the 2008 National Electric Code will require it.

You be the judge.  With a properly sized ground wire in the water the
overcurrent protection (circuit breaker or fuse) will open if you happen to
drop a piece of electrical equipment overboard.  What would precipitate that
hapening I will not speculate but it's possible.  It's not a big deal unless
someone is in the water.  Then it's a BIG deal.  As far as static charge, I
could see one building between a fiberglas boat and the water if the air was
dry enough, but not a real concern.

The ground wire to be effective would have to be sized to the output of the
generator.

Stan
"Our Little Amusement" #744

--