[C320-list] 1996 vs. 2000

allan.field at comcast.net allan.field at comcast.net
Sun May 20 05:48:51 PDT 2007

Mike - There will be as many opinions about water in the bilge as there are people on this list so here is mine.  There will almost always be water in the bilge.  If there is not a dripless packing gland, water coming in at 2-3 drops per minute is normal.  If the clean-outs on the top of the water tank are not properly sealed, everytime the water tanks are filled, water will come out around the clean-out and migrate to the bilge.  You can buy a boat with a totally dry bilge, sail the boat one time, and that day is the day that the caulk around a stanchion or chain plate decides to give up the ghost.  And once you pump, it is impossible to remove all of the water; this is what small wet vac's are for.

You can buy a boat that does not have one single solitary flaw, bring it home, go to bed, wake up the next day, and find that the punch list starts building.  The point is that these boats, and any boat for that matter, is a constant work in progress - you no sooner catch up on everything on the list than you start a new list.  So my advice is if you either have enough money to hire someone to keep up on the punch list or enjoy working on the boat yourself, just buy a boat knowing that there will always be projects.  Otherwise, take up golf, another 4-letter word!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow- #808
Columbia, MD

From: "Mike Paris" <mikepxx at adelphia.net>