[C320-list] Battery Selector Switch

Vpweikel at aol.com Vpweikel at aol.com
Mon May 21 10:45:44 PDT 2007

Thanks to Chris and all who responded ,

Went down to the boat this am and started checking more.

First, regarding the selector switch.

As I said in the initial emailing, I turned the selector switch on the  panel
to #2 battery only before retiring for the night.  I have a Freedom  10
inverter on the boat and in the process of checking things out today, I found
another battery selector switch mounted next to the inverter.  The way  things are
wired in, it is that selector next to the Freedom inverter that  switches the
batteries.  The OEM battery switch on the panel  basically does nothing.  So
it looks like my lack of attention mislead  myself into thinking I had put the
boat on battery #2 only. Selector switch  mystery is solved.

Second, regarding the batteries.  The mechanic checked the voltages,  wiring
harness, etc. and performed a load test on the batteries.  Checks  were in the
normal range.

Knowing the existing wet cell batteries are at least 5 years old and
possibly 10, I decided to go ahead and replace now with 4D wet cells.  The  last
thing I want to happen is to push the switch in an emergency and have  nothing
happen.  As others know, here on the Chesapeake Bay we have lots of  freighters,
barges, and other RAMS that need lots of room to turn or stop.

I'll still keep the portable generator on-board and at the ready.  I  totally
agree with Orlando on that one.

Paul Weikel
Second Chance
Georgetown , MD