[C320-list] commissioning questions re: da plumbing

Jane & Ken obuoy4848 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 22 13:10:03 PDT 2007

Susan,
     As to the frig, you will receive many opinions--mine is to look at the lowest part of the frig box, you will find a drain hole--put a cork into the hole and consider the frig as the same thing you have in your home.  Let the frig run 24/7 if you have shore power to keep the batteries charged. HOWEVER, if you leave the drain hole open, then the water from the frig should drain into the bilge.  You pour water into the frig box and then look for water running into the bilge area, or listen for the bilge pump to work (not too great an option since you indicate a problem with the pump)--I do not want any water in the bilge, so I use the cork and sponge any water out of the box when I defrost.
     The a/c may be a different situation depending upon how the marina "winterized" the unit.  If you are "lucky" they drained the water and blew out the lines---no problem, turn the unit on and watch for water out the outflow,  checking of course for water leaking into the bilge--hopefully not.
     The head SHOULD not present a problem, but I always start the season with a 1/8 cup of baby oil to help lube all the dried rubber parts--so far 13 years later--no problems--I also end the season with a 1/8 cup of baby oil.
     A dripless packing gland will eliminate the water flow via the prop shaft problem.
  Good luck,   Ken Cathey,  OBUOY  #219

Moondancer5 at comcast.net wrote:
  Hi all, I did not get to do the winterizing myself due to work problems, the marina did, and I am trying to do the water systems myself now, and have a couple of questions. Thank you in advance for any help!

The manual says to add water to the fridge and check the drain, but I don't see where to do either. (2006 320 hull 1089; not the mark II). I also couldn't find info in the manuals whether I need to do anything to the a/c unit before running it. The water tanks and shower I should just flush out with fresh water and a "glug" of bleach, right? (According to the marina.) And then reflush and put a little vinegar in to help get rid of the bleach smell and don't drink it anyway, correct? Am I missing any water-in-the-boat-related activity? The marina said I didn't need to do anything to the head as the antifreeze would just get flushed out with the next pumpout, is that okay?

It was a little distracting when the boat was splashed and water started to flow in via the prop shaft and the electric bilge decided not to work at all, so we are a little behind in getting the rest of our act together.
I'm wondering if having a sinking house is better than just 2 sails and an outboard...

Thank you,

Susan