[C320-list] Improving Cabin Ventilation

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Tue Nov 6 04:49:35 PST 2007

  Another solution to the waves breaking on the bow and running up the
hatch like a beach situation in which I had gallons of water pour in is
to upgrade to their top of the line $$ Powervent $$ model which has a
sliding sleeve to totally shut of the air or water ingress and also a
push button switch to shut off the fan. IF I had enough foresight to put
in the deck plate all would have been well of course !! I had sworn by
the un-sleeved units ability to keep water out for years on a few
different boats but in the exact wrong conditions it pours right in. The
wife refused to go forward or touch the wheel in those conditions so
with no Auto to take over, half our clothes for the 2000 regatta got
soaked while she stuffed the hole from the inside.
Stan
formerly "Christy Leigh"
c320 # 656
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

>>> <jonvez at comcast.net> 11/6/2007 7:24 AM >>>
John,

I have this setup and highly recommend it. It is one of the 'throw
in's' I asked my dealer to do since there are no dorades on the 320. I
have one in the V-berth hatch drawing air in and one in the saloon hatch
sucking air out. the only time I get any kind of leak is when we take
serious green water over the bow. When we know we are going to be in big
and choppy seas for many hours at a time, I simply install the deck
plate (that comes with) and I have no problems. Even when I forget to do
this, the water penetration is very minimal and it takes a lot of water
coming horizontal for this to happen. I've replaced the batteries every
3-4 years or so with one from Radio Shack. I find that they diminish
there ability to hold the sunlight charge over time. I highly recommend
this upgrade...

Regards,

Jon Vez

From: John Ellis <jr_ellis100 at hotmail.com>

> Has anyone had good or bad experiences with Nicro Day/Night Plus
solar-powered
> vents to improve cabin ventilation? They seem like a good way to
maintain some
> airflow through the cabin when I’m not on the boat.
>
> I’m thinking about installing one in the hatch above the V-berth
and another in
> the main cabin hatch. I’m concerned about cutting holes in these
hatches and
> having a less than watertight seal, but I really don’t want to cut
holes through
> the deck for them.
>
> John
> Allegro #271
> Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café.
Stop by
> today.

http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLtagl
ine