[C320-list] OIL CHANGE

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Wed Nov 7 12:40:17 PST 2007

I have the Yanmar 3GM30F in my C320 which has an oil filter in a horizontal
location.  When removing the filter, I position the baggie below the filter,
loosen it until oil starts to ooze out from the gap between the gasket and
the engine block and then with one hand hold the bag tightly against the
engine block below where the oil filter is attached to catch any oil. Zero
oil leakage into the bilge or elsewhere in 6 seasons.  I do have a backup
pile of newspaper sitting below the filter just in case.   If you unscrew
the filter very quickly and get the bottom pointing up quickly, very little
oil ends up in the bag.

You should try to change the oil filter on my turbo Porsche.  The filter
points down and there is no place to put a baggie below the filter to catch
the oil that leaks out.  The solution is to punch a hole in the top of the
filter and suck out as much oil as possible before taking it off.  1/2 roll
of paper towels stuck into the engine compartment below the filter, then
catches the remaining oil that leaks.  It is enough of a pain to consider
trading the thing for another C320.

Bob Sloat
Savannah Hull 894