[C320-list] FW: Improving Cabin Ventilation

Karl Krueger smoothsail282 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 7 14:01:24 PST 2007

Bruce/John

  Bruce excellent suggustion.  I purchased Kindred Spirit, used and the a cabin vent/fan was already installed in the main saloon hatch.  The second year of owning the boat a crew member stepped on the fan/vent and the hatch glass broke.  I replaced the hatch glass & never replaced the fan/vent.

  Karl Krueger
  Kindred Spirit, 282, Milwaukee

Bruce Stumpp <bstumpp at comcast.net> wrote:

John,

No problem installing these vents through the deck, otherwise you block
light coming through the hatches. Just make sure you have a hole saw of the
correct size (I believe the Association has one you can borrow). Keep in
mind the outside and inside parts of the vent are a larger diameter than the
drilled hole so check spacing at your location before drilling. I used
Marine-Tex to coat the inside of the hole and then sanded it smooth after it
was dry. We installed a vent near the galley and in front of the dodger
which helps with getting cooking odors/fumes out of the boat. I installation
instructions can be found here: www.marinco.com Haven't got around to
installing the second vent yet but hope to do that in the Spring. BTW,
these will not work when the boat is covered for the winter (solar!) and I'm
looking for an alternative ventilation solution during that time.

Bruce Stumpp
Adventure, #647
Frog Mortar Creek, MD