[C320-list] OIL CHANGE

Jane & Ken obuoy4848 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 8 05:50:27 PST 2007

Our hull number is 219 and is fitted with the PERKINS engine.  This engine has a "drain" plug on the starboard side below the dipstick.  Oil change is easy because I remove the plug, screw in an air tool adapter (1/4 inch I think)  and then suck out ALL of the oil--no real mess involved and I am certain the sump is empty-unlike using the dipstick tube.  The filter is still a bit of a mess, but the diaper works wonders.
  You might want to search the engine manual or look closely at the sump area because I have never seen a sump without a drain hole. The engineer designed one, but the boat location prevents access.  The filter is another story-I agree it should spin on from below.
  Ken Cathey 'OBUOY'  #219

Robert Seastream <robert.seastream at comcast.net> wrote:
  First, whichever Yanmar design engineer decided on a horizontal mount
filter should be fired, then shot.
Second, accept the fact that some oil spill will occur. Minimize it by
utilizing the methods mentioned on this forum, and repeated below:

Hole punch and predrain the oil filter
Place a ziploc bag around the oil filter
Place a diaper (Pampers, etc.), under the engine.

If it didn't cost so much, I'd have my engine oil pan drain fitted with
an extension 'spout' and hose that would allow me to drain the oil from
the pan as intended, rather than sucking it out the dipstick pipe.
That's another reason the design engineer should be shot, given that
s/he knew the engine would be located in close quarters.

Regards,

Robert Seastream
'Intuition' # 906