[C320-list] Cabling repair without Mast Removal

Dave Moores dmoores at cogeco.ca
Mon Nov 19 18:28:23 PST 2007

Gary, your post leaves a few open questions as to your intentions.  May I
ask a few clarifying questions?
First off I assume you aware that there is a set of connectors at the base
of the mast where it meets the deck?  I would highly suspect faulty
connectors as a first step.  I'd bet the cables themselves are fine.

How are you going to enlarge the hole (in the mast step I assume you mean)
at the base of the mast with the mast still there: from underneath?  First
off how do you plan to do that without removing the mast support post? The
cables run through that do they not?  I can't imagine a way to do this
without damaging the cables, not to mention leaving the mast unsupported
from below - YIKES!

Perhaps I have completely misunderstood your thinking, or am mistaken about
where the wires run, so please accept any due apology.

Or, maybe it'd just be a lot simpler to have the mast out and do the
continuity checks to isolate the problem.  Re-tuning the rig ain't that big
a deal. (My mast comes out every winter anyway, which probably encourages a
certain cavalier attitude to pulling it out to fix a problem).

Dave Moores
California Girl #342