[C320-list] Antifreeze change

mike gutshall mikegutshall at msn.com
Sun Nov 25 07:51:20 PST 2007

Crosby, you may also want to change out the filler cap and the thermostat.  If you replace the thermostat, also replace the thermostat housing gasket.  This replaces all coolant variables (antifreeze, cap, thermostat) and they are very simple to replace.  If you replace the thermostat it will also set you up to more easily ensure that air within the coolant plumbing is purged and all coolant liquid is replaced.

Here is the routine.
1. remove the coolant per instructs
2. R&R the cap
3. Remove the thermostat
4. Re-attach the thermostat housing without the thermostat (keep old gasket in play)
5. Go thorough your cycle/cycles of flushing
6. Reload the new coolant
7. Fire up the engine and let run for a minute or two
8. As the engine is running, top off the coolant or shut the engine down and top it off
9. Shut the engine down and let it cool off a bit
10. Remove the thermostat housing
11. Install the new thermostat and the new housing gasket
12. Run the engine up to temp to make sure the thermostat is working and there are no housing leaks.
13. let the engine cool down
14. open the cap for one last inspection of coolant level and possible final topping off.

Just note, that if you try to replace the coolant with a thermostat installed, there is a chance that when you first run the engine the engine will over heat before the thermostat opens and allows the coolant to fill the air voids within the engine cylinder jacketing.  I found the routine above takes all of this out of play.

Others may have a better way to do this, just my approach.

thx
mike g
Alibi 401