[C320-list] Backiug into slip

Sail0983 at aol.com Sail0983 at aol.com
Tue Oct 30 10:08:48 PDT 2007

I have only been sailing for 10 years so I don't have the vast experience
that some have. However, when I started sailing one of my instructors taught me
to begin the process of backing outside of the fairway. This allows you to
have steerage as you start down the fairway to your slip. This eliminates most
issues with trying to change direction in the middle of the fairway and any
issues with prop-walk.

Like any thing in boating you need to take wind and current into
consideration. It is much easier to start by positioning your boat so that you  are
initially backing into the wind. This gives you better control until you  have
ample steerage. Then as you approach your slip try to minimize the amount  of time
your boats beam is to the wind. You will be surprised how  sharply you can
actually turn the boat.

One other technique that I use is to actually get behind the wheel, so it
becomes like driving a bus and the boat will turn in the direction you turn the
wheel. This also makes it easier to judge the centerline of the slip.

One of the things that I do at the beginning of each season, is to go out  in
the harbor and drive the boat around for 10 or 15 minutes in reverse to get
the feel for backing again.

Dave Marchant
Illumination #983
Solomons, MD