[C320-list] Mainsheet Technical Articles

Adam Weiner esquirecatering at rcn.com
Sun Oct 7 13:37:03 PDT 2007

It is not the issue of the wind with our boats as much as it is the
issue with sea motion.  If the waves are on the quarter pushing the big
butt around then it is tough to get the boat to track.  I generally
don't have a problem leaving the helm for a few minutes by balancing the
sails first and putting slight pressure on the wheel brake.

For 20 years I owned a Santana 22 with no auto helm.  Most of the time I
was signlehanding or had crew with very limited experience.  I had to
lash the helm in place to raise/lower sails, and there was no jib
furler.  A helm brake is basically just lashing the helm into place.

Remember, there have been countless people who have sailed long ocean
passages and around the world with lashing the helm in place.  (Thank
you Josh Sloclum.)  Granted their boats were better balanced then ours
and had most had full keels with attached rudders that track better the
fin/spade, but I am not talking about leaving the helm for a long time
here.  I am talking about just a few moments of using the brake to
raise/lower sails, use the head, grab a cold beverage, check on dinner,
etc.

Adam