[C320-list] Early Christmas Present

allan.field at comcast.net allan.field at comcast.net
Mon Oct 15 07:57:44 PDT 2007

Hi Bruce - The S-1 has several features that the others don't that I really like such as wind direction, distance to waypoint, bearing to waypoint, waypoint, and the ability to change the sensitivity on the fly without going to a set-up menu.  This assumes that all other instruments are Sea Talk which is what I have, including the Raymarine C80 color chart plotter - they all talk back and forth to each other.

I did the install except for the rudder sensor.  Raymarine will tell you that the thing will work w/o the sensor but it won't.  I could not figure out the geometry so finally surrendered and had an electrician come in for that part.  He installed it on the starboard side, aft lazarette shelf which I never would have thought of doing.  I built a starboard-box around the sensor to protect it from objects on the shelf and am now pleased with what I did as the Honda 2000 actually fits better around the box!

The hardest parts of the install for me were digging out the caulk at the bottom of the port side binnacle tube so as to get the old power cable out plus finding a place for and getting the computer installed; neither was easy.  I finally installed the computer on the bulkhead forward of the fridge compressor that serves as the aft bulkhead for the port lazarette.  Getting down into the locker and sitting there for over an hour to wire the computer was not fun.  I opened the escape hatch into the aft cabin so as to be able to stretch out my legs but still had trouble walking when I finished!  I sat on a throwable cushion and put a pillow on the escape hatch door which helped a little but it is very cramped down there, the wires are small, and the fittings they go into are even smaller to work with.

While digging the caulk out with plastic tipped mechanics picks, I managed to short out the wind and depth instruments and wound up re-splicing them along the way.  But once everything was installed, the sea trial set-up took 5 minutes and I was on my way.

Oh, I almost forgot, the engine pod had to be dropped about 3-4 inches so that the wheel clutch could go all the way down and the engine kill switch could come all the way up.  I also had to drill new holes in the binnacle to install the bracket for the wheel pilot.  At the end of the day, this is more than a 1-day job!  More like 4 for me...

I just realized that there probably is a future Mainsheet article here as all of us eventually will need to go this route as the old ST4000's give up the ghost. - Allan

From: "Bruce Heyman" <bruceheyman at cox.net>