[C320-list] packing gland & listing to port

Sat Oct 20 08:52:01 PDT 2007

Well, if you do put ballast in, Gerry recommend 170# of lead behind the head sink...

----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: "Chris Burti" [clburti at gmail.com]
Sent: 10/20/2007 06:11 AM
To: C320-List <c320-list at catalina320.com>
Subject: Re: [C320-list] packing gland & listing to port

Yes... I really am considering adding ballast. It just kills me that I
can't point the same on both tacks. As we haven't loaded Commitment
down with junk, she shows a couple inches of bottom paint below the
design waterline and I can afford the weight if I stick it midships.

But, I am intrigued by Jeff's assertion that the mast is not centered
if the shrouds are equal in length. Since most mastheads are
symmetrical this is how you plumb the mast after verifying that the
base is centered. Now, if the base of a deck stepped mast is not
centered (something you should check because, surprisingly, it appears
to occur often enough) then you do have to make an adjustment as Jeff
suggested, I have measured the base and it is centered, I have plumbed
my mast in the traditional way and I still have a list. Now, if there
is something funky about the masthead...inquiring minds want to know.

Oh, add me to the GFX packing group also...three years and loving it.

Got a couple of comments on the mechanical dripless seal concept...I
know it is debating religion, but it is Saturday and I am obviously
not sailing. I am of the school that thinks it it imprudent to trust
rubber for birth control or keeping your boat afloat. I already have
some down there (intake hoses, shaft log, etc.) and don't care to add
more.

If the bellows fails, your boat will sink unless you can get your rag
and bucket working fairly quickly. The assertion that there has never
been a documented "catastrophic" failure may be true but, is also
unprovable BS. All that it means to me is that the owners got the leak
stopped in time or they haven't had one sink at the dock or where they
could recover the hull and blame it on a burst bellows.

My belief is that the most likely time one of these things would fail
is while the engine is in operation and shaft is turning. Given the
the high quality of the components, the most likely cause would seem
be some improperly stored something tangling the shaft in heavy seas
and damaging the bellows (of course from 'statistical' viewpoint that
sinking wouldn't be 'caused' by the seal, it would be 'caused' by the
skipper's 'negligence', heheheh).Too many boats go down taking water
for "unknown reasons" off shore in just these conditions and the hulls
are never recovered. Some of those must have had dripless seals. It
used to be that a selling point was the fact the Coasites used them...
News Flash..they are now going to GFX as well.

Note that these seals are a proven product and I doubt that if I
bought a boat with one installed that I would be very concerned about
removing it, but I can't see me spending the money installing one
where $10 worth of GFX (in my case it was free...better yet) provides
the same results and no concerns.

I have a dry bilge generally but haven't figured out how to keep from
adding about a quart of water when I pull my speed transducer after
each sail to avoid barnacles.

On 10/19/07, Orlando.Duran at averydennison.com

--
Chris Burti