[C320-list] Backing into slip

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 06:46:01 PDT 2007

We invariably back in to our slip. The finger pier on our slip is too
short for comfortable bow-in boarding. I prefer to eliminate the need
to climb over lifelines and carry loads of beer, coolers, beer,
groceries, beer, sea bags and beer from the bow to the stern
negotiating a narrow path laden with traps for the incautious. My less
experienced guests will fare better on boarding as well. So here is a
reprise from some of my previous observations on stern-to docking.

First, it is best to practice on windless days when you can and as
often as possible. Second, only proceed as fast as you are willing to
hit a solid object with your boat.

Our boats, being built with what is essentially a fin keel and a huge
rudder, back as good as any single screw inboards that I have helmed
in over forty years of messing around in boats...and better than
most...once you learn how.

I firmly believe that all this discussion about prop walk and
inefficient props when talking about backing a C-320 is just so much
hooey. All boats with a single wheel exhibit a certain amount of prop
walk. If you really want to see what prop
walk is all about...Try backing an inboard ski boat with huge prop and
tiny high speed rudder...or, backing a full keel sailboat with pintle
hung rudder
and with a prop in a keel aperture...now you're talking prop walk.

I hate to be so blunt because text makes it sound so rude, but if you
are having problems backing a C-320, it is more likely to be the
result of either a lack of experience, poor technique or a badly
fouled prop (strong cross currents excepted, in which case everyone is
likely to need a spring line to get where they want to go in
reverse). I also confess that I haven't backed a C-320 with a
two-bladed fixed prop, so I'm not qualified to comment on that
combination. although it still shouldn't be a huge problem.

I have a factory three-bladed prop and I almost always back my boat
into virtually any slip and have done so in strong cross winds (up to
25 knots) without any
problem and in cross currents with a little help from a spring line.
When Commitment doesn't move smartly in reverse, I know it is time to
scrape the prop clean.

Other than that...

Most problems in backing that I have observed, come from a lack of
good technique and a lack of patience. Usually evidenced by too much
rudder, too soon.

Time and again on the 90 degree swing and back maneuver, I observe a
captain throw the engine into reverse, look over the shoulder and
start steering before the boat has stopped moving forward.

Guess what...that action swings the stern around the keel just like
prop walk swings the stern and then you are out of alignment before
you even get going. If you resist the temptation to even look back
until you start moving backward, you will avoid this problem. You have
to be moving in reverse to get water flowing across the rudder. Until
you do, you can't steer and romping down on the throttle will induce
prop walk (think of the prop as pushing water both back and sideways).

In any serious cross wind, most marinas do not have enough channel
width to get up enough speed in reverse for you to do a 90 right in
front of your slip and then back in. By the time you even get the boat
stopped, the wind is starting to blow off the bow. The reason the bow
blows off first, is because both the keel and the rudder
(which slow lateral movement because of drag) are located aft of the
boats center of moment.

By heading downwind in the channel past the slip and backing into the
wind, you get water flowing across the rudder and get control while
the wind is not working against you. Once you are moving in reverse
and water is flowing across these big rudders, any prop walk is
completely negated and you overcome the effect of the wind on the bow.
By the same token, if you put the rudder hard over, it will stall,
lose steering ability and act as a brake (like trying to open a barn
door into the wind). So, once moving in reverse a little rudder is all
that will work...but it works very slowly...so have patience and
anticipate that the baot will continue to swing a bit in one direction
before changing direction after the wheel is turned.

When you turn into the slip from the far side of the channel, aim for
the outer windward piling and turn in just before hitting it. The wind
will help keep you off of it. Pick up your spring and bow line at the
cockpit, secure the spring and walk the bow line forward to control
the bow as you slow down. Slowing down will allow the wind to push the
bow off and must be countered, first with adequate speed and when deep
into the slip, by light tension on the bow line.

It is very important that you do not pull on the bow line any more
than is absolutely necessary to keep the bow from falling off in the
wind and then only pull laterally. Hauling on this line in an excess
of enthusiasm and desire to 'help' will result in
swinging the stern when the helmsman least needs that to happen or
stopping too far out in the slip.

Since I frequently sail short handed or solo, I leave my lines on the
pilings. I use a bowline looped on the piling and have pre-adjusted
the length so that the eye can be dropped over the deck cleats at the
proper distance.

I throw the tranny into neutral as I pick up the spring line, drop it
on the cleat then take the windward bow line forward and secure it,
and lastly the secure windward stern line while throwing the engine
into forward and goosing it a bit to avoid
swing the stern).

On a 'good' day I can pick up the lines by hand. On a so-so day, I
need to use the boat hooks that I have readied prior to entering the
channel. On a really bad day, I
wrestle with the safety line that ihave tied from the dock to the
outer piling between me and my slip-mate and fend off with boat hooks
while silently cursing the wind, bad fortune, my poor judgment and
impatience.

I say silently...because I have learned that shouting will only
attract more witnesses to my ignominy like flies to roadkill.

Some people have a hard time developing an instinct for where the
rudder is. Mark dead center on your wheel with tape or line and
suggest that those with difficulty, stand in front of the wheel facing
aft when backing and 'drive' normally.

I am trying to teach the Admiral the trick of backing into the slip on
windless days when she is willing. My logic is that it is better to
position my huge butt on the lines and her tiny one at the helm on
windy days. In her case, it is primarily a lack of confidence that
impedes her success, but after 33 years I have learned that it is
better not to push the issue, stay friends and keep it all fun.

She also helps me to keep perspective when, on a 'good' day with dock
full of admiring spectators, she observes how much she appreciates it
when I occasionally make the situation appear as if I might have some
meager clue as to how to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Best Regards and Fair Winds,

Chris Burti
Farmville, NC