[C320-list] Backing into slip

Tue Oct 30 14:52:01 PDT 2007

Sure seems like a lot of folks look at prop walk as a negative...I always
thought it was a good thing to have, it sure can help you out of some
difficult locations/situations. I started out the first three years with
the fixed 3-bladed prop and thank God I then changed to a Martec 2-bladed
folding prop

 Once you understand prop walk and are prepared by turning your wheel
about a 1/4 turn to starboard, your boat will always back straight out.

cl 3

             Robert Seastream
             <robert.seastrea
             m at comcast.net>                                            To
             Sent by:                 C320-List
             c320-list-bounce         <c320-list at catalina320.com>
             s at catalina320.or                                          cc
                                                                  Subject
                                      Re: [C320-list] Backing into slip
             10/30/2007 02:44
             PM

              Please respond
                C320-List
             <c320-list at catal
               ina320.org>

I seldom back with my 320.  The prop (3 blade) walk is immediate no
matter what I try.  It surprised me once (Belfast, ME past summer) by
going to starboard although that might have been the breeze.  I have
the wing keel and think a fin might back straighter, at the expense of
increased draft (though it might point better upwind).
In other news, 'Intuition' was hauled yesterday.  Tomorrow I go to
winterize her and bring the dinghy (Pipsqueak) home.

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906