[C320-list] Backing into slip

Allan Field Allan.Field at comcast.net
Wed Oct 31 18:08:38 PDT 2007

OK, I'll bite with my long past horror story of bad stern-in-docking.  The
first 5-6 times trying to dock my first boat stern-in with crew were a
disaster - highly entertaining for everyone around except those on either
side of me, and very embarrassing for my daughters and me.  Finally, one day
I nailed that sucker perfectly, backing in without even grazing a piling.
About the time I was ready to start congratulating myself, my daughter said,
"Dad, I don't think these look like our dock lines."  Sure enough, I nailed
the wrong slip.  So out we came and back to the same old routine - numerous
tries until we finally were able to manhandle the thing into the slip.  Fast
forward 20 years and it's a piece of cake.  Experience and Wisdom - That
which is left over after all the mistakes have been made.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD