[C320-list] Regatta in the Middle Kingdom of Vava'u TONGA...a suggestion

brucestanley brucestanley at optusnet.com.au
Sat Sep 1 02:36:39 PDT 2007

Quoting Jeff Hare's idea (and expanding on it):

"I suggested meeting in some ideal cruising grounds like Tortola BVI, where
everyone who wanted one could have a boat and sail/have fun for the whole
week instead of just a weekend.  Some Hunter owner's groups do this."

....Jeff I like your idea and do have a desire to Charter in some pristine area. Having spent 4 cruising holidays in Australia's Great Barrier Reef, I am getting more ambitious ... I have read a few comments that the VI are far from pristine ... so here is another idea:

a suggestion for a Regatta in an extra exotic Paradise.

A Cruising ground in pristine condition and you can still swim with the Whales.

Please read on.

The Vava'u Islands of Tonga.

Now is the time to enjoy them folks. The very best time is August to October.

The 3 paragraphs below have been posted by a friend of mine who is cruising in his 42' Catalina, Volare.

This post came to me one week ago...it is very up to date.

and I quote:===============================

"We've had an absolutely wonderful time in the beautiful Vava'u Islands and especially in the little town of Neiafu and we'd recommend anyone to come here, if you want to go back in time a little. It's still relatively untouched by the tourist industry and it's a place you should really try and see before it's discovered. Which may be as early as next year, as there was about 16 or so Japanese and Chinese documentary makers there filming the islands and especially, swimming with the whales.

Tonga is promoted, (when and if there is any promotion), as one of the last places in the world you can actually get into the water, and swim with the whales. Although, we know different, as we went to Niue and I would say you have a better chance there of seeing them and swimming with them. The season is July to November when the whales come from the Antarctic to give birth and to mate.

There are 82 islands in the group and it really is very beautiful to sail the islands, as you are protected inside the group. There is a large Moorings charter operation here, with a serious flotilla of yachts and catamarans, so go for it; it's really worth a holiday. The problem they have still is that even though the riots of last year were only in the capital, Vava'u was not affected at all but the travel ban was in force for the whole of Tonga, unfortunately and Vava'u is the tourist area. So sadly, all the businesses been affected this season.

Bruce Stanley
C320  #1084 Fantastic Lady / Sydney Australia

PS. NOW I know the above suggestion is way too expensive. But I had to put it. Vava'u would be quite costly. The Great Barrier Reef might be a slightly less expensive.

[mailto:c320-list-bounces at catalina320.com] On Behalf Jeff Hare

So, Adam...

You're fine with going to Aus. for a regatta, but apparently it's too far to
come to the east coast USA for one?  :)

I suggested meeting in some ideal cruising grounds like Tortola BVI, where
everyone who wanted one could have a boat and sail/have fun for the whole
week instead of just a weekend.  Some Hunter owner's groups do this.

As I mentioned, we will be going to AU sometime in the future, but we're
highly unlikely to go for a regatta.  The logistics would never work for us.

-Jeff