[C320-list] E-Z Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System Failure

Joseph A Tamucci jtamucci at comcast.net
Tue Sep 4 11:07:31 PDT 2007

I installed a Garhauer E-Z Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System this spring.
This past weekend in 30+ knots of wind the port side sheet block fitting
that attaches the block to the car parted and the block and sheet went
flying.  Once we got back to the mooring I was able to access the situation
and found that the threaded collar that attaches the block to the car bolt
had unscrewed over time due to vibration and jib luffing. It was a simple
matter of rethreading the block back on the car bolt but  since there isn't
a cotter pin or anything else that I can see to keep it from unscrewing  I
am afraid it will happen again sometime in the future.  I checked the
starboard side car system and found that it was also unscrewing so I
tightened that back up.

I intend to call Guido at Garhauer for advice but am wondering if anyone
else has had this experience and what they did.  Use locktite for instance?

Joe Tamucci   Andante #619