[C320-list] Honda 200 generator - battery charger?

Peter Clancy SAILORPETE at msn.com
Sun Sep 9 12:45:20 PDT 2007

There may be a way to run the Honda generator on 'eco-throttle' setting and still permitting it to rev up fast enough to handle the compressor load.  Someone told me they used a start delay on the seawater pump. This might reduce the starting load 2-3 amps? Another suggestion was installing a capacitor on the compressor. A slight improvement in starting amperage might also be realized by using a short power cable (18-24") rather than the long ones (25-50') we use for connecting to shorepower. I'll call Mermaid Marine to ask if they know what actually works. When I spoke with them a year or so ago, they told me they had purchased a Honda eu2000i to test with their 12,000 and 16,500 btu A/C's. For  mid-size sailboats, the combination of the Honda eu2000i and Mermaid 12,000 btu A/C is becoming fairly popular.

Peter Clancy
'AROBAN' #222 (former owner)
Miami, FL