[C320-list] Sound reducing paint reports?

jonvez at comcast.net jonvez at comcast.net
Thu Sep 13 05:50:33 PDT 2007

Richard,

I know this will sound like heresy to many on the list, but here I go. After years of putting up with the noise of the Yanmar I decided to bite the bullet. I installed the Sound Tiles from Sailors Solutions. I did some research and talked to the folks who sell the paint at a boat show. They admited that it was more for dampening, not acoustical elimination.

Anyway, I am extremely disappointed in the lack of noise reduction the tiles provided. I tried to be meticulous in getting tight fitting and complete coverage and I just feel it hasn't made much difference. I will add gaskets (nothing to lose at this point) to see if that makes a difference, but if I knew it would have been like this I would have tried the West Marine stuff (don't know if that is better) or gone without. The covers become significantly heavier and are now a pain to remove for engine maintenance and inspection--So I am probably in the minority in saying I wouldn't use the tiles given my experience...

Regards,

Jon

From: "Richard Smith" <richsmi01 at hotmail.com>