[C320-list] Maintaining C-320 Interior Finishes

annika brancato annikabrancato at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 30 13:00:12 PDT 2008

Hi,

For the floor......
My husband is in the wood flooring business and I am under strict advise not to use Murphy's Oil on any of our wood/laminate flooring.  I either use water mixed with a bit of white vinegar, or a specific floor cleaner (spray bottle) such as Swedish Formula or Hardwood & Laminate by Armstrong.  (there are numerous brands on the market).   The key is not to overuse any products...

We just purchased our used Catalina last spring and the interior woodwork is in excellent condition.  We are in the process of asking the previous owner what was used to maintain the boat, as it seems brand new.  We did however refinish the wood trim around the galley with a water based urethane.  My husbands idea to maintain the woodwork is to give it a light sanding and fresh coat of finish when needed.  Mind you, this will only work if there has been no oily products or wax added to the wood...

Annika
Snapshot Hull 95
Toronto, Canada> From: jonvez at comcast.net> To: C320-List at Catalina320.com> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:14:38 -0500> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Maintaining C-320 Interior Finishes> > Karl,> > I USED to use the same products you did until I redid some of my trim work.> The Target coatings are water based and they advise not to use Murphy's or> furniture polishes. My Catalina manual actually suggests using a diluted> solution of window cleaner (like Windex). We have just been using a solution> of warm water with a little bit of vinegar mixed in. We use a damp, not wet> amount and dry it off immediately after...> > Regards,> > Jon Vez> Solstice #582> > -----Original Message-----> From: c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com> [mailto:c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com] On Behalf Of Karl> Mielenhausen _/)> Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 9:39 PM> To: C320-List at catalina320.com> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Maintaining C-320 Interior Finishes> > Dennis,> > I couldn't find anything on the Target Coatings website addressing wood > finish cleaning, but I'm sure we'll see lots of great ideas and > experiences here.> > Typically, I'm told, a urethane finish in good condition may be cleaned > with a pH neutral soap in warm water. Try not to use too much solution > (ie. keep it on the surface of the finish, not down the cracks) and don't > leave it wet for an extended period of time.> I have also had good results with Murphy's Oil Soap in water.> I've also seen a grease-cutting dish soap in warm water recommended.> Also, Minwax also sells a hardwood floor cleaner (premix) that might be > useful.> > For the non-sole woodwork I have finished up with a treatment of Lemon Oil > (for furniture). It seems to add richness to the woodwork and does not > appear to damage the urethane finish (which had 6 years to crosslink > before I treated it!!!).> > Let's hear what's worked for others.> > -- > Karl Mielenhausen> Catalina 320 Hull 690> New Bern, NC>