[C320-list] Third H20 tank frame

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Thu Apr 3 07:26:06 PDT 2008

Bob,

The reason you need to remove the paint is because the paint doesn't have a
good bond with the fiberglass underneath.

In one instance, I epoxy'd a board to the hull.  That board broke free after
a while.  The separation happened between the paint and the fiberglass, not
between the epoxy and the paint.

Given the weight of the water tank with sloshing water, I'd want to grind
off the paint first.

If I were doing that, I'd use a good hardwood that won't rot like IPE and
will hold fasteners for life without having to be glassed in.

-Jeff