[C320-list] Windlass

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 5 10:37:08 PDT 2008

David, I was wrong!  I hate when that happens.  Both times have been very
unsettling for me.  Apparently, the Maxwell VC 500 is still being made.  Try
this: www.maxwellmarine.com/gen_vc.php?sub=features

The VC 500 seems designed for a vertical installation, yet on the C320s they
are mounted horizontally.  This may be one of only a few units that can be
mounted either way.  You need to know if your anchor locker is shaped to
accommodate the horizontal installation.  On my #62, it seem as the locker
was specifically designed to provide for the horiz VC 500.

I see from the manual (my first look,) that there is an annual maintenance
schedule that requires checking the lube level in the gear box.  I've never
done this.  I think I should.

Has anyone ever replaced the gear box lube on the VC 500?  If so, what is
the procedure?  It seems the whole thing has to come out to access the gear
box to replace the lube.  Is that true?  Apparently, when installed
horizontally the sight glass is useless as it is intended to be used in a
vertical installation.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River