[C320-list] Auto-Prop Issues

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Mon Apr 7 05:52:02 PDT 2008

Gil-When I ordered my Autoprop from AB they asked for a bunch of information
including my engine model and transmission gear ratio.  The propeller I got
works fine and gets me to maximum rpm.  I am in southern Lake Michigan and a
little fouling on the propeller last season caused the maximum rpm to drop
by 400 rpms.  A simple hand cleaning cleared up the problem.

One point they don't tell you is that you may have to put an extension
spacer (I believe mine was 5/8") on your shaft to allow the blade to clear
the strut when it reverses.  I got mine from Spurs Marine in Florida.  The
other approach is to cut a notch in the strut to allow clearance.  The
hardest part of using the extension spacer is getting the exact thickness of
the spacer so the propeller hub stays within 11/2" of the strut to reduce
potential vibration while still clearing the strut.

Below is at note I sent to the C320 site on November 9, 2007.  You can look
in the forums and search for autoprop and find a number of interesting items
on Autoprop, include someone who brought a boat where the previous owner had
installed an Autoprop 21/2" back of the strut and got vibration.  A good
product inproperly installed.

"November 9, 2007

I have one full season on my AutoProp and no shaft problems. The front hub
of the AutoProp is about 1.5 inches aft of the strut and the blades clear
the strut by about 1/8 inch. I chose not to do the notch in the strut, but
instead purchased a spacer from Spurs marine in Florida to get to 1.5 inch
spacing for blade clearance. The spacer fits in the coupling at the front of
the propeller shaft where it connects to the transmission output.

It took a little engineering measurements to determine the spacer thickness
I needed (5/8 inch) to get me to blade clearance to both clear the strut and
keep the distance from the strut to the front of the propeller hub to 1.5
inches or less. This will vary depending on the spacing from your OEM
propeller to the strut when the boat was built.

The rule of thumb per AB Marine, from whom I bought the AutoProp, is that
the propeller should be no further than 1.5 inches from the strut to
minimize shaft flexing. 2 1/2 inches between the strut and the front of the
propeller hub is too far and probably causes shaft flexing."

Bob Sloat
Savannan Hull 894