[C320-list] Muffler alternative

David Nolte dcnolte at mac.com
Tue Apr 8 11:32:17 PDT 2008

I have emailed Gerry Douglas and asked his opinion as to whether he
thinks the Vetus Waterlock muffler is a viable alternative to the
Aqua Lift for the Perkins, Westerbeke, and Yanmar engines. I'll
follow up and post his response.

For those who are interested, I went back to the boat and took a
closer look at the installation. The muffler is made of hard plastic,
and there are two vertical eyelets, one at the front and one at the
back. My mechanic placed some rubber material under the front and
back of the muffler, where the muffler would come into contact with
the boat floor surface, to act as a shock absorber and to allow for a
tight installation. At the front of the muffler, he anchored a screw
somehow into the bottom flooring and used a plastic strap to connect
the eyelet to the screw. At the rear of the muffler he drilled
through the vertical face next to the muffler (coming from the port
side) and ran the screw through the eyelet and tightened it with a
nut. The muffler has held securely for three years so far.

I took some more pictures which show this better. I'll endeavor to
get them up on the 320 site soon.

David Nolte
Beach House #4