[C320-list] Another remote VHF question--

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 11 15:55:18 PDT 2008

I don't hear much said about it; but, Simrad has a line of VHF radios of
excellent quality.  I'm no expert; but, I'm told that the quality of a VHF
radio is judged by it's receiver sensitivity.  I have such a Simrad radio on
board circa 1995, and it has been a great radio.  Some times I'm getting
reception from 10-15 miles away and have to turn up the squelch to cut them
out.  It is a black box with GPS interface for DSC/SOS calls.  This is
probably DSC Class null, as it dates from the early days of DSC; but, it
will send a DSC distress call with Lat/Lon.  There are two full function
handsets, one in the cabin and one at the helm with intercom, both are full
keyboard models with internal speaker.  It's like talking on the phone.
There are two external speakers with a switch to cancel the external
speaker.  The handsets are connected to the black box with telephone wire
and modular jacks.

Simrad no longer makes this model; but, they have at least two newer models
with similar characteristics and more features.  Yes, they are pricy; but,
like auto tires and batteries, you get what you pay for.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay