[C320-list] Removing Silicone residue?

Jon Vez jonvez at comcast.net
Sat Apr 19 17:24:44 PDT 2008

Thanks Dave,

I did try goo gone--and pretty much everything else. I finally finished the
project today (even for a boat project, this one took much longer than
planned). A couple of things to look I found for those of you who are
looking to remove the overhead. First, check the screw holes. I found there
was a fair amount of wet balsa between the fiberglass so I had to dig that
out and coat with epoxy. As for the weather strip-I thought I could get away
with the cheaper stuff from HD, but that really didn't do it. The right
stuff is the TACO hatch foam rubber gasket--3/4x1/8 thick. Catalina did not
run the stuff around the front of the hatch so I added it. The wood on the
lexan hatch that keeps the hatch from coming out was showing signs of water
so I also epoxied that. Finally, there are two wooden rails that the hatch
slides onto when the hatch is in the open position. If your using the UMHW
you may want to add strips to those rails. I don't plan on doing this again!

Regards,

Jon Vez
Solstice #582