[C320-list] Chargers...still!

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Wed Apr 23 20:13:03 PDT 2008

Brian,

I installed the 3012 about 2 years ago. It works very well, but if I had it to do over I might consider the TC40 instead. It just depends whether you need the extra features of the 3012.

In a simple situation like 2 similar batteries, the TC40 would probably recharge them faster than the 3012. On the other hand, the 3012 will charge a mix of battery types, and charge them independently. It analyzes the batteries every 15 seconds and then applies a charge to the one that needs it most. That way it can give one a float charge, another an absorption charge, and the 3rd a bulk charge. This is good if you have a smaller starting battery as it won't get cooked, and it can be a gel or AGM battery. The TC40 description appears to say that it charges different types and does so independently, but it doesn't. Download and read the manual. They all have to be of one type, and if one is in bulk they're all in bulk even if that little starting battery is already fully charged. Finally, if RF interference coming thru your audio system is an issue, the 3012 produces much less RF.

Xantrex's tech line and the folks at Jack Rabbit Marine are good technical sources if you need more info.

Good luck.

JeffC