[C320-list] Dodger Plastic Windows

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sun Apr 27 07:09:56 PDT 2008

Further on Jeff's comments.  My 2002 320 has an OEM dodger and after 7
seasons the plastic windows are still in very good shape and almost brand
new in appearance.  No pain no gain seems to apply to plastic window
maintenance.  I have used Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 17 clear plastic cleaner
for removal of minor scratches and Meguiar's 10 clear plastic polish as the
final coat for protection and static reduction.  A few scratches on the
lower inside of the windshield from the OEM Lewmar winches for the
secondaries and the clutch brake releases needed heavy duty work out with a
buffer and a little more aggressive compound before the Meguiar's stuff was
used.  It is also good for the clear plastic hatches and ports.

I do use the Meguiar's 10 about 2-3 times a season and put the protective
covers on the windows after every sail.  The later adds just another minute
or two to the shut down procedure.  Also, when the dodger comes off at the
end of the season, the windows have been washed to remove dust and grime
which could cause scratching and I and store the dodger with towels between
all plastic surfaces contacting each other laying on a flat surface with no
folds in the plastic.  Next storage season I am thinking about seeing if
clinging kitchen wrap on each surface of the windows would work instead of
the towels.  If it clings, you just stick it on the windows and take down
the dodger.

On commissioning, the dealer and I noticed that the secondary Lewmar winch
handles when used were rubbing the lower part of the inside of the dodger
window and a few days later a shorter (expensive) Harken ball bearing winch
handle which does not touch the dodger window was presented to me by the
dealer (SailPlace in Waukegan) gratis.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894