[C320-list] Chargers Xantrex Install

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Wed Apr 30 06:28:05 PDT 2008

Kirk-Yesterday I order the Xantrex 20 to replace the second failed
ProMariner Flyback 20-3 on hull 894 (2002). The first one was a Catalina OEM
install and failed in 2006 after less than 5 seasons from commissioning.  I
took the lazy way out by getting a replacement under limited warranty (price
reduction from ProMariner for the replacement unit) for a simple
reinstallation.  The second Flyback with a little over one season on it
failed over the weekend one week after launch.  In both case, the Flybacks
failed on the AC side with some DC issues as one fuse at the batteries was
open on the first failure.  In the future they will serves a targets for the
shooting range which will help with my passive aggressive tendencies toward
them.  From my experience with the Flybacks, I can see why Catalina now uses
another supplier for their chargers.

I have kept an eye on the various posts on Xantrex installation.  On Hull
894 the existing mounting location is the same as yours and the existing
board for the OEM Flyback charger is large enough for the Xantrex 20.  The
wiring to the batteries from the charger for my hull is 4AWG which is very
big and per Xantrex specifications could easily support the Xantrex 40
amperage loads if I wanted that unit.  I am at a slip with 24/7 shore power
and 24/7 OEM refrigeration and 20 amps seems enough.  The 4 AWG wires will
make the install at the Xantrex side a little tricky.  A recent 320 board
post on this indicated that the crimp fittings on the charger wires at the
charger could be modified slightly to fit in the relatively small female
fittings on the Xantrex.  I will try this and if it doesn't work use a buss
bar.

My hull has on the charger connections near the positive connections at the
batteries has in-line fuses so there is no need to install breakers.
Xantrex recommends 25 amp fuses for their Xantrex 20 model.  My current
fuses are 30 amp so I will replace them with 25s.

If any thing interesting comes up on the install next week I will let the
board know.

Bob Sloat
Savannah Hull 894