[C320-list] Cutless Bearing

Monte B. mjbc60 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 3 15:03:10 PDT 2008

Jon,

The cutlass bearing measures 1x1&1/4x4. Readily available and my haul out,
labor, including repacking the shaft with GFO packing and new bearing was
486.00 US. Money well spent. The old packing went south when I pulled the
coupling to align the engine and shaft, but as it was the original I got my
2 cents worth. The cutlass bearing was also the original with 675 engine
hours and I now believe the last years worth of rattles and noises were
attributable to engine alignment and cutlass bearing. I saved the old
bearing and new bearing box but they are on the boat so I don't have a
manufacturer name. Google cutlass bearing and I think you will find ample
sources. The Assn. apparently has the install tool but the bulk of the labor
in my case was haul out so if you can wait till haul out time I would just
have the marina service guys do the install and not deal with shipping a
tool twice and timing the whole event. The prop will not just jump off if it
has never been off and in fact the service guys had to heat mine with a
torch to get it off. The original shaft is also rather soft and will bend
with the puller improperly applied. It is not a particularly difficult job,
but like most, that is if you know what you are doing and have the proper
tools.

Monte
Laima #620