[C320-list] Chargers Xantrex Install

Jane & Ken obuoy4848 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 16 20:36:11 PDT 2008

I also had the Newmar as original equipment--After several seasons the noise became too great to accept===so I went to the smart charger--have been very happy with it

warren updike <wupdike at hotmail.com> wrote:  I've not heard it mentioned before so I'll put in a pitch for NewMar
chargers www.newmarpower.com/Phase_Three/Phase_Three.html

I have a 50A Newmar charger on #61 that has been there for probably 10-12
years. It has the older ferro-resonant transformer so it will not fully
charge the batteries. You need a 3-stage smart charger to do that. See the
link for these smart chargers.

Practical Sailor did a review of chargers in the past year and the Newmar
got good marks; but, it is neither the least expensive nor the smallest.

Since I upgraded my alternator to 80A output on the Perkins M30, I no longer
need a shore charger as my primary charger. I only run the shore charger
when there is a load on such as when the refer is running.

Again, a lot depends on how you use the boat and it's 12V power.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay