[C320-list] Stainless cylinders covering bronze shroud turnbuckles

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 10:45:49 PDT 2008

Ours is also 1994. I'd be more concerned that the problem you have may be
indicative that it has been a long time since the rig has been tuned and the
chain plates rebedded. Do you have any signs of drips on the undersides of
the chain plates, or dark stains around them?

Can't say for sure re. #74; but, on these older hulls the holes through the
deck for the chain plates are drilled through cored decking. Leaking chain
plates will mean wetting the core - a bad thing. The newer hulls,
thoughtfully, were made with solid resin where the chain plates holes are
drilled. There are discussions on this list about repairing-rebedding these
older hulls to prevent future wetting of the deck.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay