[C320-list] Forward to Reverse Shift Problem

Pat Moriarty patm at psiurethanes.com
Mon Aug 25 11:23:35 PDT 2008

To heck with out on the water as you can just shift it at the
transmission. I want it to shift at the dock because fiberglass is expensive.

Disconnect it at the transmission and try both the transmission and
the lever to see where the binding is at. You will now know which to fix.

Pat #130 and mine is smooth with 550 hrs.

At 01:15 PM 8/25/2008, you wrote:
>Does anyone have difficulty shifting from forward to reverse and
>vice-versa?   We have hull 32 with the Perkins engine.   Not sure who made
>the trans.   I have found that if I am in forward by moving the shift lever
>backwards about 10 mm gets me to neutral at 800 rpm.   Its then takes a huge
>amount of force on the shift lever to get me from this neutral position to
>the reverse gear.   Retuning to forward from reverse is similar but does not
>need so much force on the lever.
>
>I did inspect the shift cable that comes to the transmission from the
>lever.   This seems to be moving freely so I do not think the cable is the
>cause.   If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.
>
>A few weeks ago I was coming into dock and the bolt that secures the shift
>lever sheered because the shift is so stiff.   I was left with the lever in
>my hand.   Luckily it failed in neutral and I was able to coast in.
>Needless to say I want to get this fixed before it fails when I am out on
>the water.
>
>Best regards
>
>Bryan

Pat Moriarty