[C320-list] When Lightning Strikes

VenturaC320 at aol.com VenturaC320 at aol.com
Tue Aug 26 16:12:23 PDT 2008

And don't forget to check your fuel tank for pin-hole leaks. Our lightening
strike took out most electronics and also came down the rudder and to the skeg
 under the fuel tank. We began to smell diesel and then saw a slow trickle
of fuel coming into the bilge. The result was a new fuel tank since there  was
five pin holes in the tank.

Our surveyor showed us how the current went down the bob stay and tracked
across the VC 17 hull paint. He said it was a good thing that we had VC 17 on
the hull since the copper content conducted the current. BOAT  US insurance was
great and paid our several thousand dollar claim without  any problem. J. L.
Lake Michigan.

In a message dated 8/16/2008 8:46:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time,