[C320-list] What is inside the boom?

Irving Grunes igrunes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 08:49:22 PST 2008

Dennis,
I had the same question in 2001 #851. This is what I found out.

There is a fixed single block inside the boom, Not visible externally.
At the aft end of the boom, if you pull on the line that does not go
straight thru the boom. You will pill out a single block with a fiddle on
the end.  You may have to feed the line from the mast to give you slack to
move this block.
When you see the block, you will find that the line from the mast end of the
boom is fed thru this block, then goes back thru the fixed bloc at the boom
mast end , and then comes back to terminat at the aft end of the block.
Then a line is attached to the fiddle end of the block and comes out the end
of the boom to go over the sheave.

On our 351, we use this line to connect to the outhaul of the sail.
The boom end of the line feeds back to the cockpit port side.

The line that Charleston used for this block is very stiff and makes it
difficult to move this  single line block.

One of our to-do's on #851 is to replace this line with something more
flexible.

Caution.  The fixed block at the mast end of the boom is only accessible by
removing the mast end of the boom.

The line that goes straight thru the boom is used for our reefing.

We have put blocks on the on the main reefing cringles and have single line
reefing using that line goes straight thru the boom. That is a subject for
another discussion.

Irv Grunes
2001 #851 Isle of Wight